No joke, this will take you less than an hour and doesn’t require that much focus so you can even get other stuff done at the same time. All you need is:
- A piece of leather braiding (you can find this at any fabric store – or if you can’t find any you can just braid together long strips of fabric)
- A piece of flat black elastic
- 2 small squares of black fabric
And then it’s as simple as:
1. Hold leather braiding on your head where you would wear a headband. Cut it to the length of the bony parts just behind your ears.
2. Cut the piece of elastic the length of the gap between where the braided leather pieces don’t touch.
3. With black thread sew the elastic to 1-2 centimeters of the braided leather.
4. Take your squares of black fabric. I used a sewing machine to fold the edges under in order to achieve a cleaner look but this isn’t mandatory. Then you place a drop of hot glue on the inside of the leather braid and press down one side of the fabric immediately. When this is dry, wrap the remaining fabric around the braiding and elastic and glue gun in place. Repeat on the other side. If you don’t have a glue gun this can also be done with a needle and thread.
5. There you have it! A brand new headband for a couple bucks!