I decided I wanted to make use of some carrots I’ve had sitting around and also finish off a box of All Bran Buds that were past their expiry date. I came across a recipe on food.com which got me started and then made substitutions and alterations based on what I had lying around. So if you give this recipe a whirl – don’t at all feel obligated to stick to the ingredients rigidly. I had a lot of fun making things up as I went along and encourage you to do the same. So here’s the recipe to get you started:
Yields 12 muffins
- 3/4 cup bran (I used All Bran Buds and ground them into a powder in the food processor)
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour (to help the muffins rise a little)
- 1 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 1/2 tablespoons ground flax
- 1/3 cup dried fruit (I used dried blueberries but raisins would be great too)
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup sugar (I used Splenda)
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons melted margarine
- 2 tablespoons apple sauce
- 1 rounded cup shredded carrot
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In medium mixing bowl combine flours, bran, flax, sugar/Splenda, cinnamon, baking powder and baking soda.
3. In large mixing bowl combine egg, milk, lemon juice, margarine, apple sauce and carrot.
4. Pour dry ingredients into wet ingredients and combine thoroughly.
5. Divide mixture evenly among 12 muffin cups (do not use paper liners).
6. Bake in oven for 20 minutes. When removed the tops should be firm to the touch. Let them cool before removing from pan and placing in an airtight container for up to a week.
I strongly recommend enjoying them warm with a little bit of butter or margarine. They can also easily be frozen and taken out and warmed up whenever you need a quick breakfast. Enjoy!