This is a very yummy side dish…and extremely healthy as well. A big thanks to Today’s Nest for the original recipe. And if this kind of dish interests you, take a look at the blog, What Would Cathy Eat? where she is doing a healthy Thanksgiving challenge to find more nutritional alternatives to typical holiday fare. Yummy!
Potato, Sweet Potato & Carrot Mash
Serves 3 or 4
- 1 large potato
- 1/2 a large sweet potato (or more if you want the dish to come out a bit sweeter)
- 1 large carrot
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 3 tablespoons milk (I used soy milk because I find it gives it a deeper flavor)
- salt (to taste)
1. Peel carrots and sweet potatoes. Chop into 1 inch cubes. Place in a pot of water and bring to a boil.
2. While they cook, peel and chop the potato into 1 inch cubes. Add potatoes to pot.
3. After 20-25 minutes, veggies should break apart easily when poked with a fork. Once this occurs, remove pot from heat and drain veggies.
4. Mash veggies until they begin to form a chunky puree. Add in milk and butter and continue mashing until smooth.
5. Sprinkle in salt and serve.