Oh soup – is there ever a better way to make use of veggies that are passing their prime. The other day I looked in my fridge and noticed that I had some zucchini and a whole lot of basil that where not looking their best. And then I came across this recipe that promised to solve all my problems! It makes for an excellent light meal, snack or starter so enjoy!
- 1/4 cup oil (I used Olive oil)
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cloves of crushed garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large zucchinis
- 3 cups water (I might use vegetable broth next time to give it a richer flavor)
- 1/3 cup packed basil
1. Heat oil in a saucepan on medium heat. While this warms, dice the onion.
2. Toss in the onion and let soften for a few minutes. Then stir in the garlic and salt. While this cooks, roughly chop the zucchini. Once onions have become tender, toss in the zucchini. Let cook, stirring every couple of minutes for about 5 minutes.
3. Add in water, partially cover and let simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Measure out basil and toss it in for a few seconds so it just begins to wilt. Remove from heat and pour mixture into a large food processor.
5. Blend mixture until thoroughly combined. Garnish with some basil and serve. Yummy!