Need a little bit of Mexican in your day to day meals? This recipe from Canadian Living’s Best Recipes Ever definitely fits the bill. I had it with my family for brunch on Christmas day and it was absolutely perfect. The ground beef was our own addition because meat is big in our household but you could easily not use it if you’re looking for a vegetarian dish. Hope you like it!
- 8 tortillas
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 bell pepper, diced (red or green – it’s up to you!)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 8 eggs
- coriander (optional)
1. Grease 8 large muffin tins. Press a tortilla into each muffin tin. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Brown ground beef with oil in a frying pan. Remove excess liquid. Add in onions and let cook until they begin to soften. Stir in garlic, pepper, chili powder, salt, pepper, and hot sauce. Once peppers have softened add in tomato sauce and black beans. Bring to a boil. Reduce to very low heat.
3. Place tray of tortillas in oven for 6 minutes, or until crisp.
4. While this is happening, begin poaching the eggs.
5. When tortillas are done, remove from tray and place each tortilla in a bowl and stretch slightly so you can load in more sauce.
6. Place a spoonful of sauce in each tortilla cup and top with a poached egg. You can sprinkle with coriander if using.
The dish is best served right away so eat up!